Sunday, August 12, 2012

Smithsonian Folklife Festival 2012: Sustainable Solutions

The annual Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. this year celebrated the 150th anniversary of public land-grant universities and the founding of the United States Department of Agriculture. Different land-grand universities participated in a sustainable solutions competition. These universities demonstrated their sustainability projects to the thousands of visitors to the nation's capital.

Mississippi State University showed off their EcoCAR plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, Oregon State University showcased wave energy technology and how to build sustainable structures to withstand hurricane and tsunami ocean waves, UC Davis raised awareness about the environmental threat of plastic shopping bags, University of Florida focused on sustainable water uses, the University of Tennessee demonstrated their Living Light solar-powered house, and Washington State University explained the development of different biofuel feedstocks.

Here are photos from the event.



And here is video of Oregon State's lego wave demonstration.

6 comments:

  1. My father worked as an electrician in Perth when he was in his 20s. He told me that he is always fascinated by new inventions especially when it comes to creating vehicles that uses electricity. I will tell him about this hybrid electric vehicle because I am sure that he will be amazed by this invention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great invention for the reason that it can withstand hurricanes and other types of violent act of nature. I am an electrician Perth that is continuing to look for more ways to support and recreate things to protract the development of sustainable structures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The industrial electricians Perth are inventing something like this too. I’ve seen lots of electric hybrid car and so far this is one of the best. I want to see more of their creations because I love eco friendly vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend who is an electrician Subiaco wants to buy an EcoCar soon. I told him that he should see this plug-in hybrid vehicle because it performs better than other types of electric cars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the lego wave demonstration and it was superb! Maybe enough lsi components and I'll be able to imitate that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It helps if you use some laser hand tools in controlling and manipulating some of the devices here. I think it'll also be useful in hybrid cars such as what you have here.

    ReplyDelete